We love soup season! Who doesn’t?
I like to begin our seasonal soup journey when it gets chilly with this Yam-Tastic Slow Cooker Soup.
Please know this particular soup turns out best if you pop in an old school CD (that’s compact disc, Google it if confused), blast it and dance while preparing the soup. Please choose your version of “old school.” It could be the Beatles or the Backstreet Boys. For me, it was Ms. Mariah Carey’s number one hits…and I wasn’t shy with the Mariah Carey dramatic hand waves in between celery chops.
And now on to the reason you are here, the recipe for this fantastic Yam-Tastic Slow Cooker Soup.
Yam-Tastic Slow Cooker Soup
- 1 Large Onion, chopped small
- 4 Celery Stalks, chopped small
- 1 Large Yam, grated
- 1 32 oz Container Vegetable Broth
- 1 2.8 oz (ish) Package Bacon Crumbles (found in salad section or if you’re feeling ambitious, fry up 4 pieces of bacon and crumble)
- 2 Cups Milk (I use 1 cup 1% and 1 cup almond milk, but use whatever you prefer)
- Pepper, garlic salt, basil, sage, thyme
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped small
- Add onion, celery, yam, broth, and bacon to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Add milk, sprinkle with pepper, garlic salt, and basil (to taste). Add just a pinch of sage and thyme.
- Cook 30 more minutes.
- Add fresh parsley.
- Stir it up, serve it up, sprinkle with cheese if desired and serve with fresh bread for dipping.
This soup is always a hit. My hubby and I have enough for dinner and lunch the following day. It is even better the second day!
Hope you enjoy!